Airbrush Spray Booth – Guide to Portable Airbrush Spray Booths
Airbrushing offers the user a variety of possibilities to be creative and is suitable for many different art forms. However, it has a rather serious disadvantage: working with atomized airbrush paint can have health consequences. For this reason, it is not only recommended to wear a breathing mask but also to use an airbrush spray booth.
What you should pay attention to when buying such an airbrush spray booth and how you can even build an airbrush spray booth yourself, we tell you in our airbrush spray booth test.
- 1 What is an Airbrush Spray Booth?
- 2 Pros and Cons of an Airbrush Spray Booth
- 3 What you should pay Attention to when buying a Spray Booth
- 4 Commissioning of a Suction Plant
- 5 Airbrush Suction Unit DIY
What is an Airbrush Spray Booth?
An airbrush pistol atomizes the paint contained in it with compressed air. The user, therefore, applies the atomized paint to a painting surface at the push of a button. Of course, not 100% of the paint ends up on the surface, but there are always particles of it in the room air. Therefore, the use of a breathing mask and protective goggles is generally recommended.
However, during this work, paint always settles on objects – or, even worse, on your art object – or continues to whirl around in the air for a relatively long time. To prevent this or at least reduce the number of paint particles in the air, an exhaust system should be used when airbrushing.
Such a spray booth is a small cabin that is easy to set up and in the middle of which the object to be sprayed is placed. Usually, there is a turntable in the middle, which makes working with small objects more comfortable. During the spraying process, the air containing the spray mist is extracted and filtered.
Pros and Cons of an Airbrush Spray Booth
Nevertheless, the advantages of a spray booth usually outweigh the disadvantages, especially if you plan to work with the airbrush gun often. Especially lovers of model making benefit from the use of such a system.
What you should pay Attention to when buying a Spray Booth
When buying an airbrush cabin you should pay attention to different characteristics, because not every cabin is suitable for every purpose.
- The first parameter is the type of application on which, among other things, the size of the airbrush spray booth depends. Cabins are available in different sizes. You should select these according to the application because of course, it makes a difference whether you want to paint body parts or airbrush objects in model making. Anyway, the size of an extraction booth is limited – of course, it should not take up a gigantic space.
- Another question to be considered is the performance of the spray booth when airbrushing. This should be strong enough to reliably suck in the paint mist produced. However, it is not possible to specify this value exactly, as it depends on the paint used and your other equipment. The type of application also plays a role here. In general, it can be said that about three cubic meters per minute are sufficient. If you need a higher capacity, choose a spray booth that produces five to seven cubic meters per minute.
- The materials of the airbrush cabin should be of high quality and of course resistant to various paints, including solvent-based paints, thinners, and cleaners. The cabin should be easy and quick to assemble and disassemble and, if you have limited space, it should be collapsible.
- A good idea is an integrated turntable that allows you to spray an object from all sides. It saves you a lot of work and ensures an even surface because you don’t have to constantly touch the object and turn it yourself.
Airbrush Suction Unit Recommendation: DAEWOO Suction Unit
The Daewoo airbrush booth is the premium model and therefore has a rather proud price. However, the unit comes with many functions that will make your life easier. We can list the following advantages:
We are not aware of any disadvantages with the Daewoo spray booth – except for the price. Of course, the price is quite high, but on the other hand, the unit really does offer everything you need to work cleanly and effectively and to minimize the risks to your health in the best possible way.
Product recommendation follows
Price-performance Tip: FENGDA Airbrush Spray Booth
The FENGDA exhaust system is our absolute price-performance tip. It is easy to set up and operate and offers, despite its low price, everything a sprayer needs.
The FENGDA spray booth is perfect for beginners. The workmanship is solid and the suction power is completely sufficient. It is particularly suitable for spraying smaller objects, but with a little craftsmanship, two suction units can be combined with each other, so that spraying larger works of art or model constructions are also possible. For the price, the FENGDA Airbrush suction unit is absolutely unbeatable!
Product recommendation follows
Commissioning of a Suction Plant
Setting up an airbrush model paint booth is child’s play, as the start-up is very intuitive. Usually, the body can be opened easily by unfolding the side panels as well as the lid. This creates a small space that does not allow the spray mist to escape, but at the same time gives you an optimal view of your art object. Usually, the ceiling of the cabinet is sloping.
In the middle, you will find the turntable, if the extraction unit has one, which makes working more comfortable. The fan and the air filter are located at the rear of the unit. Some cabins – for example, our premium unit presented above – have an additional hose, with the help of which the sucked-in air can be led out of the room.
Airbrush Suction Unit DIY
You have the choice of whether you want to buy a cabin or build an airbrush spray booth yourself. If you want to build a DIY airbrush spray booth, you will have to expect a lot of work on your own. This is not complicated; however, you will need some material and above all time and skill. We tell you how it works:
- If you have a lot of space, you can build a very simple model by putting together a wooden body and connecting it to a fan. However, we would only advise you to do this if you do not need to fold the exhaust system. If you want to save space when storing your unit, you have to fix the sidewalls and the top with hinges to the body.
- Cut a hole in the rear wall of the body and attach both the grille for the air filter and the fan. As a filter, you can cut a standard filter mat to the size you need.
- For each fan you install, you will need three connecting cables. Normally, each fan is supplied with 20 watts. Make sure to equip the fans with a rocker switch so that they can be switched off at any time.
- You can also attach LEDs, as you need them, for optimal lighting. You can switch them independently from the ventilation, so you can work without a fan but with light.
An portable spray booth can either be bought or built by yourself. If you decide on the second option, however, you should have a little craftsmanship and plenty of time available. Whether building your own airbrush spray booth is financially worthwhile depends on the equipment of the airbrush spray booth and on the question of which model you would have chosen if you had bought it. No matter which option is the right one for you: An airbrush spray booth is always a good choice.